Journey is a ministry at St. Thomas More Catholic Church that was created to meet the needs of single parishioners. Journey provides different opportunities for 40+ singles (including widowed, separated, and divorced) to meet and socialize with other single members in the parish who share their Catholic beliefs and values.
Our group, founded by a group of single parishioners in 2012, rests on these four pillars: faith, fellowship, fun, and philanthropy (service). Journey members meet each month for a social and enjoy and participate in a variety of events and activities throughout the year. Come Journey with us!
Vision and Mission Statement
Journey’s vision is to help members on their journey of growing in purpose to achieve their fullest potential, knowing that through the power of the Divine Spirit this can be accomplished. Journey was founded and exists to:
- Provide an organized venue for 40+ single parishioners to meet and socialize with other singles in a spirit of Catholic fellowship;
- Meet its members’ spiritual, emotional and social needs through participation in parish, social, civic and charitable activities;
- Encourage and foster long-term friendship and camaraderie among its members; and
- Help its members to continue to grow in faith and love, both as individuals and as part of a broader community.
Recreational / Social Activities
Journey hosts a monthly social, either a potluck or dinner at a local restaurant, and sponsors several other activities each month. Our core leadership group sends out regular e-mails with a calendar of upcoming events, plus information and points of contact for each activity.
Current activities include:
- Movie and game nights
- Plays, concerts, and shows
- Restaurant outings and wine-tasting parties
- Visits to museums and cultural/historical sites
- Hikes, excursions, and picnics
- Sporting events
- Recreational fare such as bowling and miniature golf
- Recurring events such as a Book Club and weekly Trivia competition
- Local trips (e.g., Prescott, Jerome, Cottonwood)
With such a wide variety of activities and avenues for participation, Journey truly has something for everyone! And recognizing the wide range of interests in a large group, Journey members are encouraged to offer ideas and suggestions for new or different activities. We are limited only by our imagination!
Spiritual / Community Outreach Activities
Journey members participate in a wide range of community outreach as we seek to grow in our faith, act in love, and reach out to help those less fortunate.
Current community outreach includes:
- Volunteering at St Vincent de Paul and Andre House
- Preparing meals for St Thomas More Habitat workers
- Providing Christmas gifts to Apache Indians
- Donating clothing to nuns in Juarez
- Participating in the annual Nun 5K Run
- Going caroling during Christmas season at convalescent homes
As is the case with our social activities, Journey’s many community outreach initiatives offer opportunities for any and all members to get involved as much or as best as they wish.
Membership in Journey is free and with no obligation. Some events or activities will require a fee to cover costs. Members are welcome to contribute their time, ideas and talents in suggesting activities or assisting at them.
A rotating group of four or five members makes up Journey’s core leadership team. Core leaders are happy to provide information, answer questions, and help you get started on your ‘Journey'. Our current leadership team is:
- Linda Cunningham
- John Guinsler
- Jim Pinkelman
- Minnie Rahn