Foster Care Support Ministry
In the state of Arizona, over 9,000 children are in state custody because of concerns about abuse or neglect.
In order to address the challenges and needs of children in out-of-home care, a group of St. Thomas More parishioners have joined to form a Foster Care Support Ministry. The focus of the Foster Care Support Ministry is to reach out in love to children who have been placed in out-of-home care due to neglect, abuse and abandonment. We invite everyone in the parish to join in our efforts.
How to Help
- Open your heart and home. Infants and children through age 18 are waiting to be welcomed into a loving, safe environment. Training and support are provided. Contact Catholic Charities at 602-997-6105.
- Mentor a child. Be a positive influence in the life of an at-risk youth. Contact Parenting Arizona by calling 602-542-9683 ext. 260 to learn about the Special Friends mentoring program.
- Volunteer with the Arizona Supreme Court. Review court records, act as a child advocate, and make recommendations regarding care and placement. Click on CASA or Foster Care Review Board to find out about these opportunities, or call 602-542-9683.
- Help create a Life Book. Arizona’s Children Association.
- Donate gifts of time and talent by serving on the Foster Care Support Ministry leadership team. Compassionate adults with leadership and organizational skills are welcome to join us in planning the work of our parish ministry. If you love children and want to help, or for more information, contact Wade McFall at the parish office 623-566-8222.
- Pray for foster children and their caregivers. Ask the Father for his loving care, both during individual, private prayer time, and when gathered with family, friends, ministry groups and the parish community. Devote time in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament for the intentions of foster families.